If you haven’t already, checkout our PGA Rankings page.
Essential Stat Categories: Greens in Regulation, SG: Approach, Course History
Mile High Overview
I absolutely love this tournament field, I feel like there are some slam dunk easy picks, and I truly feel the PGA Rankings are on point this week. This is an approach shot course, and we’ve done very well historically on those courses, so lets keep that up. Above all, Chesson Hadley isn’t in the field, as he’s withdrawn, so keep that in mind. Approach courses are usually where he grades well, and he was going to until he withdrew….thank god.
Vegas Favorites (Better than 50/1 Odds)
|Byeong Hun An||40/1|
Roster Construction Thoughts
I’m really liking some cheaper guys on both sites this week, so I think you can afford to pick some high end talent like DJ or Koepka. The 9k range on DK as usual is rich with top level talent that is priced down.
Top Flight Picks
If you haven’t seen one of my articles before, I like to use sport relevant names for my picks. Ranks Shown are their Ranks in this field only.
NOTE: I’ve removed the Stat Rankings from this page, all stats you need can be found on the PGA Rankings page now.
Excellent Picks, high exposure, and my favorites to win.
- Tony Finau – He’s our second highest graded golfer this week, and I really think he’s an awesome pick this week. His price on FanDuel is a little tough to swallow, but on DK I’ll pay the price. Finau has been knocking on the door of a win all year, I think its about time. 8th in the field in approach, and 10th in the field in Greens in Regulation make him a great course fit for us.
- Joaquin Niemann – I talked about this kid a couple weeks ago and his absurd talent level for his age. He’s special, no doubt. He comes into this week top approach in the field, top 26 in every major stat category. If this isn’t an easy, slam dunk pick I don’t know what is. Downfalls? He’s a kid, so he could have a set back at any moment and potentially not have mental toughness to overcome, but I’m not letting that scare me away. 9400 on DK in particular seems very nice.
- Dustin Johnson – The heartbreak of his Open performance last week has fallen by the wayside, and I have to remind myself outside of maybe Koepka, he’s got more talent than 99% of this field. I’m back on this pick again this week, because unless he’s in the middle of some injury we don’t know about, there’s no reason to believe he won’t be near the top of the leaderboard in this watered down field.
Solid picks, hopeful top 10 finishes, outside chance of winning.
- Bubba Watson – Hard to ignore Bubba’s wins this year, even at just the 34th approach game in the field, I simply can’t ignore a winner. He, like Dustin Johnson, is coming off a terrible performance at the Open Championship last week and will want to atone for that. Despite being 34th in approach game, he’s 5th in the tourney in Greens in Regulation. He can go low this week if he’s on.
- Brooks Koepka – I’m not a giant fan of this one this week, but he’s so talented its hard to ignore him. I’ll probably be lower exposed here, but prior to last week he was the hottest golfer on tour (that now is Molinari’s throne).
- Chris Kirk – Kirk is an approach game monster, and is middle of the pack in putting. He’s a boom or bust guy, but if his putter gets hot, watch out. Love this pick, especially for the price on DK.
Aiming to hit the Top 25.
- Jhonny Vegas – (2x defending champ, thats worth noting. Doubt he does a 3-peat, but damn, you can’t ignore that).
- Joel Dahmen
- Byeong-Hun An
- Keegan Bradley
- Stewart Cink
- JB Holmes
Roster filling mid tier guys who can make the cut, but probably won’t finish top 10 or maybe even top 25.
- Bronson Burgoon
- Charley Hoffman
- Tyler Duncan
- Andrew Putnam
- Billy Horschel
Guys I’d only take a small GPP Flyer on, have a good possibility of busting and missing the cut. Consider this your “punts” section, if you’re trying to jam in high dollar guys, these are some cheapies who could save your day.
- Vaughn Taylor
- Sam Saunders
- Jason Kokrak
- JJ Spaun
- Jamie Lovemark